SG Crawlers Forum
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

SGCrawlers - Crawl & Trail videos
SGCrawlers - Bash Tour Drift videos
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 34 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 am
Latest topics
» looking for used/new scania /man trucks...
by gunas Today at 12:41 am

» [East Coast Park Beach Trail] 24 Aug 2014 0900hrs onwards - Car park F2
by boolean21 Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Land Rover Defender D90 photos and details only (picture intensive!)
by babyboy Yesterday at 11:00 am

» Babyboy's 2nd Land Rover Defender D90
by babyboy Yesterday at 9:21 am

» NEW to SGCRAWLERS
by Zax13 Yesterday at 5:55 am

» Laneboysrc - DIY Light controller system
by babyboy Yesterday at 1:08 am

» DIECAST MODEL RC EXCAVATORS...
by gunas Yesterday at 12:03 am

» Need HELP!!! regarding DRONE...
by gunas Yesterday at 12:00 am

» [VIDEO] 7 RC Scale Trucks 4x4 offroad adventures Trail Finder 2 SCX10 honcho Wraith Jeep Brute D110
by boolean21 Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 pm

» WTB: ESC for brushed 27T motor
by sev Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:26 pm

» Good Afternoon All
by babyboy Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 pm

» SCX10 Jeep rubicon RTR body with White LED New
by sev Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:42 am

» [TOURING VIDEO] Tamiya M03 M05 M06 TT01 TT02 HPI WR8 1:10 scale M-chassis shoot out at Punggol East Hardcourt
by boolean21 Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:11 pm

» Axial Owners fall in here!
by sev Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:02 am

» [Extreme Mudding] 17 Aug 2014, 0900hrs - Extreme Mudding at Chestnut Ave - Butterfly Trail
by boolean21 Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:54 pm

» Boolean21's Axial Wraith build - Updates: New Paint scheme - Captain America's Axial Wraith
by boolean21 Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:11 pm

» WTS - Brand New VStank M1A2 Abrams
by berkoh87 Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23 pm

» WTS: 5 Month old Traxxas Summit & Traxxas Slash 2WD (ITEMS SOLD)
by lenzpro.sg Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:51 pm

» SOLD: New in Box AXIAL
by Hyperstar Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:13 am

» [VIDEO] 17 scale trucks Axial scx10 gmade sawback jeep RC offroad adventures at Bangkit Road Trail Part 1
by boolean21 Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:17 pm

August 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Free Domain Name
Google+

SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by d12go4 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks to the great info provided by the guys here, on my questions about the Axial SCX10, I've decided to start with the RTR Honcho from Tower Hobbies Very Happy
I plan to use the RTR to learn more about how these Hobby-Grade RC Rigs are setup, and also use it to spend some quality "fun family time" with my daughters (aged 7 and 10) who like playing with RC cars Smile

I still intend to get the Builders Kit later on, but will use the RTR to lean more about how the SCX10 is setup. Can than use the RTR as a "guide" on setting up the Kit

What I would like to know is which stick battery pack and charger should I get for the RTR ? Are there local stores that sell these at reasonable prices, or should I just bundle a Battery with my order from Tower Hobbies ?

Thanks in advance

MANoj

d12go4
Crawler

Posts: 28
Join date: 2011-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by boolean21 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 pm

great choice to start with the honcho.. Smile it's a great scaler out of the box... just need to DIY or buy some lower links for the rtr honcho and you are good to go.. Smile

if you plan to let the honcho swim... get nimh batteries as they are safe to be submerged...

locally, nimh cheapest would be around $30 each.. you can try getting them from tower if it's cheaper there since not much to top up for shipping if you get together with the honcho..

_________________
My Blogs: MyHoncho Blog | Boolean21 RC Blog
Youtube: SGCrawlers RC Channel | BooleanRC Video Channel
Facebook: SGCrawlers FB Page  | Boolean21 FB Page
Instagram: http://instagram.com/SGCrawlers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SGCrawlers

boolean21
Crawler

Posts: 4468
Join date: 2011-08-18
Location: Deep inside the Jungle

View user profile Http://youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by d12go4 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for the info Boolean21, really do appreciate your quick replies man Very Happy

This one will, by and large, be a purely "fun-play" rig, for indoor fun and mild outdoor trailing around where I stay, so i don't plan to waterproof it....maybe I will join you guys on one of your "dry" trail runs later. When I get the Builders Kit later on, now waterproofing that will be one of my projects Smile

Out of curiosity, are there any stock SCX10 in the bunch of cool rigs I see in your trailing Videos ? Or are they all modded ?

If an nimh costs about SGD $30 locally, I will bundle one with the Tower Hobbies purchase. Any advantage the Nimh has over Nicads ?

Also, on the Battery, having checked out a number of RC Forums, the common view seems to be that the standard Tamiya connector is not good, and should be changed to a Deans connector if possible. What are your thoughts on this ? Does connecting a Deans connector to the ESC require soldering ?

Cheers


MANoj

boolean21 wrote:great choice to start with the honcho.. Smile it's a great scaler out of the box... just need to DIY or buy some lower links for the rtr honcho and you are good to go.. Smile

if you plan to let the honcho swim... get nimh batteries as they are safe to be submerged...

locally, nimh cheapest would be around $30 each.. you can try getting them from tower if it's cheaper there since not much to top up for shipping if you get together with the honcho..

d12go4
Crawler

Posts: 28
Join date: 2011-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by boolean21 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 am

If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

Here's a stock rtr honcho in our recent videos...


I used to stick with tamiya plugs, but now, changed most of the plugs to deans...
Yes, u will need to solder it... Smile

_________________
My Blogs: MyHoncho Blog | Boolean21 RC Blog
Youtube: SGCrawlers RC Channel | BooleanRC Video Channel
Facebook: SGCrawlers FB Page  | Boolean21 FB Page
Instagram: http://instagram.com/SGCrawlers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SGCrawlers

boolean21
Crawler

Posts: 4468
Join date: 2011-08-18
Location: Deep inside the Jungle

View user profile Http://youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by d12go4 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Wow.. now that is what I call Trail Ready Smile

That looks to be the older TR Honcho, correct ? The new RTR Honchos are Silver, I believe.

With regards the battery, and advantage with the Lipo. And also, when I do get the Batery, is there a specific size I need, to fit the Honcho ? Or are all Stick batteries the sam size. Please pardon thses "Newbie" questons Embarassed

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

Here's a stock rtr honcho in our recent videos...

I used to stick with tamiya plugs, but now, changed most of the plugs to deans...
Yes, u will need to solder it... Smile

d12go4
Crawler

Posts: 28
Join date: 2011-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by boolean21 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 pm

yeah, that honcho quite old liao... coming to first birthday liao... it's the AM tx rx batch... before the 2.4G tx rx days...

standard 7.2V stick packs nimh and the usual hardcase lipos can fit on the honcho without any problems...
you'll need a lipo capable charger if you wanna use lipo.

best is to get a charger that can charge all, i.e. lipo, nimh, nicad, etc....
so that you don't need to buy another charger in future when you wanna use different batteries..

d12go4 wrote:Wow.. now that is what I call Trail Ready Smile

That looks to be the older TR Honcho, correct ? The new RTR Honchos are Silver, I believe.

With regards the battery, and advantage with the Lipo. And also, when I do get the Batery, is there a specific size I need, to fit the Honcho ? Or are all Stick batteries the sam size. Please pardon thses "Newbie" questons Embarassed

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

Here's a stock rtr honcho in our recent videos...

I used to stick with tamiya plugs, but now, changed most of the plugs to deans...
Yes, u will need to solder it... Smile

_________________
My Blogs: MyHoncho Blog | Boolean21 RC Blog
Youtube: SGCrawlers RC Channel | BooleanRC Video Channel
Facebook: SGCrawlers FB Page  | Boolean21 FB Page
Instagram: http://instagram.com/SGCrawlers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SGCrawlers

boolean21
Crawler

Posts: 4468
Join date: 2011-08-18
Location: Deep inside the Jungle

View user profile Http://youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by d12go4 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the info man.

Any recommended local Hobby Store for the Battery and Charger, or would getting it online be the better option ? Only issue I can think of, with getting online charger is whether it will work in Singapore.

Cheers

MANoj



boolean21 wrote:yeah, that honcho quite old liao... coming to first birthday liao... it's the AM tx rx batch... before the 2.4G tx rx days...

standard 7.2V stick packs nimh and the usual hardcase lipos can fit on the honcho without any problems...
you'll need a lipo capable charger if you wanna use lipo.

best is to get a charger that can charge all, i.e. lipo, nimh, nicad, etc....
so that you don't need to buy another charger in future when you wanna use different batteries..

d12go4 wrote:Wow.. now that is what I call Trail Ready Smile

That looks to be the older TR Honcho, correct ? The new RTR Honchos are Silver, I believe.

With regards the battery, and advantage with the Lipo. And also, when I do get the Batery, is there a specific size I need, to fit the Honcho ? Or are all Stick batteries the sam size. Please pardon thses "Newbie" questons Embarassed

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

Here's a stock rtr honcho in our recent videos...

I used to stick with tamiya plugs, but now, changed most of the plugs to deans...
Yes, u will need to solder it... Smile

d12go4
Crawler

Posts: 28
Join date: 2011-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by boolean21 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 am

hi bro,
maybe u can post the link to the charger and batteries that you are looking at so that the other bros can comment on it.. Smile

US works on 110VAC and SG works on 240VAC, but nowadays, maybe power supplies come in large working voltage ranges, post the links here so that we can take a look at the specs. as long as the INPUT for the power supply to the charger is 240V, you are ok...

hmm... lipos tends to last longer and have more punch... but for trails, both are ok la.. nimh is good if you plan to "swim"... i use only nimh batteries when going swimming... during dry terrains, i use lipo some times... Smile

when ordering from towerhobbies, remember to key in the discount code for additional usd75 discount for orders between usd300 - usd399... Smile

d12go4 wrote:Thanks for the info man.

Any recommended local Hobby Store for the Battery and Charger, or would getting it online be the better option ? Only issue I can think of, with getting online charger is whether it will work in Singapore.

Cheers

MANoj



boolean21 wrote:yeah, that honcho quite old liao... coming to first birthday liao... it's the AM tx rx batch... before the 2.4G tx rx days...

standard 7.2V stick packs nimh and the usual hardcase lipos can fit on the honcho without any problems...
you'll need a lipo capable charger if you wanna use lipo.

best is to get a charger that can charge all, i.e. lipo, nimh, nicad, etc....
so that you don't need to buy another charger in future when you wanna use different batteries..

d12go4 wrote:Wow.. now that is what I call Trail Ready Smile

That looks to be the older TR Honcho, correct ? The new RTR Honchos are Silver, I believe.

With regards the battery, and advantage with the Lipo. And also, when I do get the Batery, is there a specific size I need, to fit the Honcho ? Or are all Stick batteries the sam size. Please pardon thses "Newbie" questons Embarassed

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

Here's a stock rtr honcho in our recent videos...

I used to stick with tamiya plugs, but now, changed most of the plugs to deans...
Yes, u will need to solder it... Smile

_________________
My Blogs: MyHoncho Blog | Boolean21 RC Blog
Youtube: SGCrawlers RC Channel | BooleanRC Video Channel
Facebook: SGCrawlers FB Page  | Boolean21 FB Page
Instagram: http://instagram.com/SGCrawlers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SGCrawlers

boolean21
Crawler

Posts: 4468
Join date: 2011-08-18
Location: Deep inside the Jungle

View user profile Http://youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by d12go4 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi boolean21

Yah, will definitely be using the discount code Smile

Ok Guys, hopefully you can help me to decide on the 6-cell 7.2V stick Battery and Charger I need to get for the RTR Honcho..... I plan to stick with Batteries that use the Tamiya Connector for now, as I don't have the know-how or equipment to be able to switch the stock Axial ESC to accept a Deans connector Embarassed

When I was setting up my order for the Honcho at Tower Hobbies, the "recommended" battery and charger were these :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0006p?&T=1&I=AXID9022&E=N


Is this recommended NiCd 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh Stick (with Tamiya connector) and AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH ok ? I am especially concerned if the Charger will work in Singapore Embarassed

One alternative stick battery that Tower Hobbies is suggesting is this one :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0004p?&I=TOWC1030


This alternative battery is an NIMH (NOT NICD) and has a higher capacity.

I tried checking for Lipos, but honestly do not know which would work with the Honcho Embarassed

Would it be better to order the Honcho from Tower Hobbies, wait for it to arrive..and than get the Battery and Charger from a Local Hobby Store ? This will probably cost more than bundling the Battery and charger with the order from Tower Hobbies, but this way I would be sure it can work on the Singapore current Very Happy

If anyone here has recently ordered the RTR Honcho and bundled a Battery and Charger, I would really appreciate hearing which one you selected Very Happy

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MANoj


boolean21 wrote:hi bro,
maybe u can post the link to the charger and batteries that you are looking at so that the other bros can comment on it.. Smile

US works on 110VAC and SG works on 240VAC, but nowadays, maybe power supplies come in large working voltage ranges, post the links here so that we can take a look at the specs. as long as the INPUT for the power supply to the charger is 240V, you are ok...

hmm... lipos tends to last longer and have more punch... but for trails, both are ok la.. nimh is good if you plan to "swim"... i use only nimh batteries when going swimming... during dry terrains, i use lipo some times... Smile

when ordering from towerhobbies, remember to key in the discount code for additional usd75 discount for orders between usd300 - usd399... Smile

d12go4
Crawler

Posts: 28
Join date: 2011-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by boolean21 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Would still recommend nimh if using for honcho... If u are playing with water...

U can read this for conparison between nicd and nimh...
http://servocity.com/html/nicad_vs__nimh_batteries.html

Buy at least 2sets of at least 3000mah if going for nimh...

_________________
My Blogs: MyHoncho Blog | Boolean21 RC Blog
Youtube: SGCrawlers RC Channel | BooleanRC Video Channel
Facebook: SGCrawlers FB Page  | Boolean21 FB Page
Instagram: http://instagram.com/SGCrawlers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SGCrawlers

boolean21
Crawler

Posts: 4468
Join date: 2011-08-18
Location: Deep inside the Jungle

View user profile Http://youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by d12go4 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi boolean21,

Thanks for that link man, very informative.

Are there any local Hobby Stores you would recommend, that carry these Lipos, Nimhs and chargers ? For peace of mind (to ensure the charger will work in Singapore current), I think I would prefer to get it locally, even if it might cost more Embarassed

Cheers

MANoj
boolean21 wrote:Would still recommend nimh if using for honcho... If u are playing with water...

U can read this for conparison between nicd and nimh...
http://servocity.com/html/nicad_vs__nimh_batteries.html

Buy at least 2sets of at least 3000mah if going for nimh...

d12go4
Crawler

Posts: 28
Join date: 2011-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by boolean21 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi, current is not the issue, look out for the voltage input range.
Had sent u the shop that I bought from in the previous PM. Smile

d12go4 wrote:Hi boolean21,

Thanks for that link man, very informative.

Are there any local Hobby Stores you would recommend, that carry these Lipos, Nimhs and chargers ? For peace of mind (to ensure the charger will work in Singapore current), I think I would prefer to get it locally, even if it might cost more Embarassed

Cheers

MANoj
boolean21 wrote:Would still recommend nimh if using for honcho... If u are playing with water...

U can read this for conparison between nicd and nimh...
http://servocity.com/html/nicad_vs__nimh_batteries.html

Buy at least 2sets of at least 3000mah if going for nimh...

_________________
My Blogs: MyHoncho Blog | Boolean21 RC Blog
Youtube: SGCrawlers RC Channel | BooleanRC Video Channel
Facebook: SGCrawlers FB Page  | Boolean21 FB Page
Instagram: http://instagram.com/SGCrawlers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SGCrawlers

boolean21
Crawler

Posts: 4468
Join date: 2011-08-18
Location: Deep inside the Jungle

View user profile Http://youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum