SG Crawlers Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SG Crawlers Forum
SG Crawlers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

SGCrawlers - Crawl & Trail videos
SGCrawlers - Bash Tour Drift videos
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 301 on Thu 21 Oct 2021 - 11:24
Latest topics
» RC Submarine: Russian Akula Class
by redboat219 Tue 27 Sep 2022 - 11:43

» Land Rover Defender D90 photos and details only (picture intensive!)
by babyboy Fri 25 Jun 2021 - 16:39

» [Offroad Bashing and Rally] Offroad Bashing and Rally at Tampines Track 12 Jan 2020 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 11 Jan 2020 - 10:15

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 20 Oct 2019 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 19 Oct 2019 - 16:31

» vHOBBY RC videos
by CraftRC Fri 21 Jun 2019 - 21:32

» Suzuki Samurai 3D Printted project
by CraftRC Sat 4 May 2019 - 18:39

» WTS : Redcat Gen 7 Pro
by staypuft Mon 7 Jan 2019 - 11:31

» Hello all! Dan here
by csd8888 Fri 5 Oct 2018 - 8:27

» [Offroad Trails] Offroading at Tampines Quarry 16 Sep 2018 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 15 Sep 2018 - 18:41

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 12 Aug 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 22:51

» [Trail and Bash!] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 22 Jul 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 21 Jul 2018 - 19:39

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 01 Jul 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 20:39

» wts hobbywing esc + motor
by kelvintan_hc Thu 28 Jun 2018 - 15:36

» Axial roll cage crash
by CraftRC Fri 1 Jun 2018 - 20:16

» Jeep cherokee XJ crawling
by CraftRC Sat 26 May 2018 - 21:54

» Jeep cherokee XJ crawling
by CraftRC Sat 26 May 2018 - 21:54

» Extreme Rock Crawler Axial Wraith
by CraftRC Tue 8 May 2018 - 17:35

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 06 May 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 5 May 2018 - 17:14

» Cab Land Rover Defender
by CraftRC Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:41

» Cab Land Rover Defender
by CraftRC Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:41

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Would you recommend a 50/50 or CS setup for drifting beginners?

4 posters

Go down

Would you recommend a 50/50 or CS setup for drifting beginners? Empty Would you recommend a 50/50 or CS setup for drifting beginners?

Post by RCGolf Fri 15 Feb 2013 - 23:50

Hi Drift Gurus of the SGC Realm,

Was initially naively thinking that I can use a general Tour/rally chassis like the XV-01 and double it as a drifting platform as well, so that I can tour/rally/drift all on one platform at anytime. But I realized that the suspension/wheel setup for serious drifting may be the exact opposite to touring/rally, especially if I am hoping to one day be able to drift anywhere near like those vids on Youtube.

Yes, I know and hear a few saying that a 50/50 kind of setup (i.e. without locking the rear diff or changing the wheel speed of the rear wheels) can also drift, but will it be correct to deduce that the slides would not be as "good" or as scale as a CS setup? (I am sure I am going to draw a lot of fire for this last statement. Suspect tongue) I am already trying to practice drift on the XV for a short while with just slapping it on with drift tyres (i.e. with stock touring setups) but so far outcome has been less then consistent and the slides are no where near decent. I just can't slide exactly where I want to and maintain the line. Is it just lack of practice or the setup is just wrong to begin with.

I guess it is like what they say: You can't have everything in one package. So if the reason is the latter, would it make sense for a drifting newbie to branch out with a dedicated drifting platform and start with a CS setup right from the start or go on practicing with a 50/50 platform?

Ok. Braced to draw flak. Fire away ... clown

PS. but seriously, TIA .... any advice would be really helpful.

Cheers
RCGolf
RCGolf
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Would you recommend a 50/50 or CS setup for drifting beginners? Empty Re: Would you recommend a 50/50 or CS setup for drifting beginners?

Post by boolean21 Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 0:16

have to wait for the cs drift masters like rtech, eatdirt, haz, etc to advise you...

but from my newbie point of view.... get a cs setup! i used to drift around using my df03ra rally car with drift tires.... until i got the ota-r31 cs drifter...

cs is much more fun and realistic... although i still can't drift properly around the circuit.... but trust me... someday... i will be able to do that... Very Happy

if i have got enough hands, i'll bring down my rookie drifter to let you have a try on sunday to see the difference between cs and 4wd drifting...
boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

https://www.youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Would you recommend a 50/50 or CS setup for drifting beginners? Empty Re: Would you recommend a 50/50 or CS setup for drifting beginners?

Post by Marpek Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 0:26

Bro, in the past ive been a seasoned drifter for many years straight no break ( till stopped and jump into crawler...and stopped...etc )where cs not in sg yet, and let me tell you cs is not easy if you have yet started 50/50 drifting... unless you have losta paitience or gifted in rc drifting ( ive mates whom mastered normal drifting only after few years...serious ).

Im not familar with your chassis, but how bad can it be compare with a humble TT01? You need plenty of practice in throttle managements and steerings plus with the rite setup...

Setup wise, use brushed motor eg tamiya sports tuned to start with, or if brushless already, try tune down speed as too much for newbie to handle. Imo brushed is better in that sense. During my drift days I never touched brushless. My humble sports tuned is a match with the brushless out there.

Second is springs set rear hard and front softer. Tamiya red springs works good.. Yours a front mount motor rite? Thats a bonus liao...no need add front weight.

Lastly try drift on rougher surfaces as a start. Avoid mph with freaking smooth ceramic tiles. Play figure of eight...practice...practice...practice...

Regards CS drifting, our drift guru Rtech will help you on that!

Marpek
Marpek
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by RCGolf Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 17:29

boolean21 wrote:
if i have got enough hands, i'll bring down my rookie drifter to let you have a try on sunday to see the difference between cs and 4wd drifting...

Hey Thanks Master Boo. Looking forward to experience the difference.

Marpek wrote:Bro, in the past ive been a seasoned drifter for many years straight no break ( till stopped and jump into crawler...and stopped...etc )where cs not in sg yet, and let me tell you cs is not easy if you have yet started 50/50 drifting... unless you have losta paitience or gifted in rc drifting ( ive mates whom mastered normal drifting only after few years...serious ).

You need plenty of practice in throttle managements and steerings plus with the rite setup...

Lastly try drift on rougher surfaces as a start. Avoid mph with freaking smooth ceramic tiles. Play figure of eight...practice...practice...practice...

Hi Marpek,

Thanks for the pointers for 50/50 drifting. Al-righty then, will try to make the necessary changes and practice practice practice... Smile
RCGolf
RCGolf
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Marpek Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 18:01

Maybe if you have extra hand too and bring down your xv-1 tmr so that I can help you check it out too!
Marpek
Marpek
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by RCGolf Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 18:04

Marpek wrote:Maybe if you have extra hand too and bring down your xv-1 tmr so that I can help you check it out too!

Fantastic !! Will definitely be there tomorrow. Cya Very Happy
RCGolf
RCGolf
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by RTECH Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 21:22

Smile Hi bro, glad you into drifting. Me no master, still learning.

Some advice, if you are new to drifting . You got to learn 50/50 first to get the hang of wat drifting is about. Do not use too grippy tires, grippy tires(eg.hpi hard rubber or tamiya type A )does not let the car induce the drift momentum for long. Use hpi T-drift or now most drifter use is the pro grip avaliable at Autodrift PTE.

For CS drifting, until now. There is still no one standard setting that suit everyone. Due to the different in turning ratio between the front and rear wheel speed and the driving style of different driver.
CS is more of real drifting (only rear drifting) compare to 4WD which is more of power sliding ( all four wheels sliding). In rear life D1GP drifting , only the rear of the car drift, the front of the car is bitting. It is the rear drift that makes the car counter the steer.
When you go into CS, it is best to try a low cs ratio (1.3 to 1.6). The higher the CS ratio, the more difficult it is control the car. Normally , 1.6 is enuff to make the car countersteer at full angle.
In CS drifting, weight distribution is also another key factor in setting up the car. In this case, the front should be heavier than the rear. That's why all modern drift car design focus the weight more to the front. Those car that have 50/50 weight distribution is more for touring then drifting. You can try using a touring car to setup for CS drifting , but you may need higher CS ratio to make the car countersteer but as i said b4 higher CS ratio makes the car difficult to drive .
When setting up a drift car, try using soft springs. Most newbie have the wrong idea that hard spring can induce the drift easy. You must remember that the drift tires are not made of rubber, it is made of hard plastic materials which oridi loose traction. Using soft spring to counteract the hard tires for more control when the car is drifting.

Drifting need a lot of practice to make it perfect. There is no short cut. Try out different setting to see which one suit you.

Thanks for your interest. Very Happy
Here is a video dedicated to you for your interest enjoy !
RTECH
RTECH
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Marpek Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 21:57

RCGolf wrote:
Marpek wrote:Maybe if you have extra hand too and bring down your xv-1 tmr so that I can help you check it out too!

Fantastic !! Will definitely be there tomorrow. Cya Very Happy

Good! Now I had the chance to drift the new evolution of Tamiya TA03F!
Marpek
Marpek
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down