SG Crawlers Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SG Crawlers Forum
SG Crawlers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

SGCrawlers - Crawl & Trail videos
SGCrawlers - Bash Tour Drift videos
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 301 on Thu 21 Oct 2021 - 11:24
Latest topics
» RC Submarine: Russian Akula Class
by redboat219 Tue 27 Sep 2022 - 11:43

» Land Rover Defender D90 photos and details only (picture intensive!)
by babyboy Fri 25 Jun 2021 - 16:39

» [Offroad Bashing and Rally] Offroad Bashing and Rally at Tampines Track 12 Jan 2020 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 11 Jan 2020 - 10:15

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 20 Oct 2019 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 19 Oct 2019 - 16:31

» vHOBBY RC videos
by CraftRC Fri 21 Jun 2019 - 21:32

» Suzuki Samurai 3D Printted project
by CraftRC Sat 4 May 2019 - 18:39

» WTS : Redcat Gen 7 Pro
by staypuft Mon 7 Jan 2019 - 11:31

» Hello all! Dan here
by csd8888 Fri 5 Oct 2018 - 8:27

» [Offroad Trails] Offroading at Tampines Quarry 16 Sep 2018 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 15 Sep 2018 - 18:41

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 12 Aug 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 22:51

» [Trail and Bash!] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 22 Jul 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 21 Jul 2018 - 19:39

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 01 Jul 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 20:39

» wts hobbywing esc + motor
by kelvintan_hc Thu 28 Jun 2018 - 15:36

» Axial roll cage crash
by CraftRC Fri 1 Jun 2018 - 20:16

» Jeep cherokee XJ crawling
by CraftRC Sat 26 May 2018 - 21:54

» Jeep cherokee XJ crawling
by CraftRC Sat 26 May 2018 - 21:54

» Extreme Rock Crawler Axial Wraith
by CraftRC Tue 8 May 2018 - 17:35

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 06 May 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 5 May 2018 - 17:14

» Cab Land Rover Defender
by CraftRC Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:41

» Cab Land Rover Defender
by CraftRC Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:41

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread

4 posters

Go down

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Empty Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread

Post by Dieselx Sun 20 May 2012 - 22:41

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler

TAMIYA JEEP (YJ) WRANGLER CC-01 - item 84071**21800

We don't have to introduce much at all on this kit... if you had found your way to here, I suppose you pretty well know what it takes to bring you little joy of owning this 1/10 CC-01 jeep Wrangler.
Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread IMG_1776
www.tamiya.com

Bought myself a quality masking tape and 2 paints.

Light Sand TS-46 and Matt Black TS-6.

My favourite Tamiya store Stargek ( Singapore ) always have a nice fabric carrier bag for every kit purchased.

It would come either in black or blue.

www.stargek.com

This Jeep Wrangler kit cost slightly more than any other Tamiya CC-01 kit because it has a plastic hard body instead of the polycarbonated material.

The tyres are scaled looking but I would swap them out for my old Tamiya Tundra tyres which are a little softer and bigger.

I refrain from overly-huge performance grade crawler tyres for its scale look.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread IMG_1778

The Wrangler kit also contains a light unit. It comes with 2 pairs of LED but the light unit would allow you to connect up to 8 pairs of LED for your christmas-lights fetish.

As usual, Tamiya also supplies the electronic speed controller and a cheap brushed motor, but I have no problem using the motor on my other kits - they last.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread IMG_1777

I do not intend to blog on the building of the CC-01.

There's plenty of such information in the website already. Google it.

But worth a mention is the stage when you are building your differential gear.

As shown in the background, the instruction manual, it did not specifically mention your clear option until you read the last few pages that you can lock the differentials.

So, remember to use the locking plates supplied during this build stage if you want a locked differential on the rear axle, else you risk taking apart the entire axle to install the locking plate in future.

The picture shown here would be ideal if you purchase the locking plate and install it for the front differentials.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread IMG_1779

As for the front, you can also attempt to lock it during the build stage.

Decide whether you want to sacrifice a little steering over slightly better crawling performance.

Unfortunately Tamiya did not supply 2 pairs of locking plates. But you will do this simple modification instead.

Some people jammed a bevel gear in between.

But I figured out I would jam two bevel gears instead.

Not shown in this picture, you would need to also cut a very short piece of silicon fuel tubing and slot it over the unused star-pin that holds the 3rd bevel gear to prevent the 2 bevel gears from weaving off.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread IMG_1781

Another tip widely spread by CC-01 builder to increase steering throw is to trim off the stub ends on the C-hub.

I took this picture from a post found in rcnitrotalk.com to show you where this stub is located.

Just cut it away during the building stage.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread SteeringMod1

www.rcnitrotalk.com

With some paintings done, decals applied, it sure looks good to go.

The tyres are slightly bigger as shown here, using the Tamiya Tundra Rock Crawlers M/T.

It still looks pretty good as it would still flush with the fenders and tuck under it when the shocks are compressed.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread IMG_1792

Meanwhile, worth a mention here is that this Tamiya Wranger kit, as usual with any other CC-01 kits, does not come supplied with full ball bearings set.

It is a pity that Tamiya still prefer to target the wrong group.

Place your orders online for a full set of ball bearings with AsiaTees.com to upgrade your CC-01 with metal ball bearings.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread CC-01+bearings

www.asiatees.com

For performance, you may wish to consider getting a better rear 4-point-linkage to replace the Tamiya kit's extremely soft rear link arms.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread CC-01+rear+linkage

Worth a mention if you intend to get the metal linkage, do remember to purchase the rear damper mountings too.

I personally think it should come as a full set and wonder why anyone would buy the linkage without the damper mounts ?

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread CC-01+rear+damper+mount

For crawling intesive trails, I would also suggest that wheel weights be added to the rims. At least add them on your front wheels to improve front traction as your vehicle weight bias would be transfered far back to its rear axle when on an incline.

Go to any car tyre workshop ( I mean, real cars, not RC cars ) and ask for old wheel balancing weights.

I did asked nicely and they point me to the trashbin - I did picked up a couple of better ones.

But this time, I decided to purchase 10 long stripes of wheel weights, cut them up into sizes and stick them on.

New wheel weights come with self adhesives on them so it works easily.

Drap epoxy around the weights so that they do not dislodge when the tyres are put over them, or when water enters the tyres inside and peels them off.

I use Pro-Spec brand epoxy, which is clear when cured, but any quick dry formula would do.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Wheel+weight

www.prospec.com

Well, that should pretty much sum up what you can do for your CC-01 to improve its trail capabilities.

In future improvements, I will be installing perhaps a high turn crawler motor and look into improvising water proofing for the electronics.

Then, there would be a simple modification that I would like to experiment for a rear drop link for more articulation of the rear.

Terence
more updates can be found here in future..
http://terence-tamiya-wrangler.blogspot.com/

Dieselx
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Empty Re: Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread

Post by Liew Sun 20 May 2012 - 22:46

Wah !!! Very detail built up cheers
Liew
Liew
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Empty Re: Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread

Post by Dieselx Sun 20 May 2012 - 22:49

Hope to help newbies on building the CC-01.

This is not my first CC-01 built so I'm quite familiar and thus able to offer more opinion and at the same time take photos and dig up tips along the way from well known website and forums Smile

My first CC-01 was the Touareg model. Very Happy

Dieselx
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by boolean21 Sun 20 May 2012 - 22:50

nice build thread! well documented! Smile
boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

https://www.youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dieselx Thu 24 May 2012 - 9:00

I had an idea on how to water proof my electronics altogether within a single box.

Bought a really cheap but quality food storage container for $2 ( SGD ) and it comes in a pack of 4 from Daiso ( Singapore ).

Use foam double-sided tapes to stick the electronic speed controller, receiver and switch on the inside of the box and made a hole for the cables to exit on the lids.

You can then seal up the hole with silicone to prevent water from entering through the hole.

To access the electronics, just lift off the lid !

www.daiso-sangyo.co.jp

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Water+proof+box

While working on the box, I realized that the batteries should be elevated high enough too so that water crossing will not pose a problem to these high current LiPo cells.

2 FlightMax 2 cells 2200 mAh purchased from HobbyKing online store did the job really nicely.

These 2 Lipo seats perfectly at the rear end, well supported by the wheel arch and the 2 protrusion piece of plastic making a very good holding tool for the Lipo.

I only had to lightly tape down the Lipo with Velcros so that it doesn't drop out when the truck overturns.

www.hobbyking.com

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Twin+lipo

Hope these tips helps !

Dieselx
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by qks57 Thu 24 May 2012 - 17:06

how about your servo? has it been waterproof-ed? Smile if not, hitec made a pretty good waterproof servo.
qks57
qks57
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dieselx Thu 24 May 2012 - 17:32

no i have not waterproof the servo yet..
No

Dieselx
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dieselx Tue 29 May 2012 - 17:30

Water-proofed my servo with some grease and sealing silcone around the seams.. hopefully.. LOLX..

Oh yes, waiting impatiently for my hop-up parts too.. should arrive this week..

Meanwhile, no more BBB because its UUU - upgrade upgrade upgrade..

Dieselx
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dieselx Wed 30 May 2012 - 22:05

30 May 2012

Here is a tip - use a black felt tip painter pen to outline the edges.

It covers up your mistake when you are masking off the fenders.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Marker+outline

I have received my full package from AsiaTees and it came in a well packed box and a free AsiaTees black T-Shirt !

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread AsiaTees+hopup+parts

However I am disappointed with the hexagonal wheel hub as it seems to be of the wrong type and could not clamp onto the rear axles.

Only the front axles can be properly secured.

After some hard work trying to figure out which part goes to which location, I end up having to visit Chin Ngai Hobby website to check out the type of screws and orientation of each part.

www.gpmracing.com.hk

I suppose AsiaTees could do better by providing a simple diagram on retro-fitting.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Upgraded+links

Here is the final retro-fitting of the hop-up parts, viewed from the rear.

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread Under+chassis+with+hopup+parts

And of course, the usual crawler and trail truck trademark pose - I used my iPhone for show off, of course !

Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler - built thread The+usual+pose

Dieselx
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down