SG Crawlers Forum
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

SGCrawlers - Crawl & Trail videos
SGCrawlers - Bash Tour Drift videos
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 57 on Fri 23 Sep 2016 - 12:58
Latest topics
» [Offroad Bashing and Rally] Offroad Bashing and Rally at Tampines Track 02 Oct 2016 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Today at 9:44

» [BUILD THREAD] Boolean21's Sakura D4 RWD drift car
by boolean21 Yesterday at 11:19

» [Build Thread] Boolean21's NQD RC Jet Ski conversion from dual motor to jet drive
by boolean21 Yesterday at 10:53

» WTB SCX10 ready to run
by Essilor Sun 25 Sep 2016 - 11:03

» Tamiya CC01 land cruiser Black Special
by laucrawler Sun 25 Sep 2016 - 2:05

» Hello to everyone out there - New to Crawlers
by babyboy Sat 24 Sep 2016 - 17:08

» --- SOLD ---
by Essilor Fri 23 Sep 2016 - 14:33

» [Night Drifting] 22 Sep 2016 2030hrs - Buangkok Sports Park near Blk 986A - MSCP at Blk 984
by boolean21 Wed 21 Sep 2016 - 23:12

» [Scale Trail & Rally] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 18 SEP 2016 0900hrs
by Nxsix Sun 18 Sep 2016 - 9:24

» [VIDEO] Mud and hills! Toyota Hilux Land Rover Defender Jeep Wrangler Wild Truck at the Tampines offroad Trails
by boolean21 Mon 12 Sep 2016 - 19:56

» [Rock Crawling + Trail] - 11 Sep 2016 - 0900hrs - Rock Crawling at Little Guilin
by boolean21 Fri 9 Sep 2016 - 21:40

» [Touring / Bikes / onroad bash] 28 Aug 2016 0900hrs - Touring, onroad bash and more @ 60 Punggol East
by boolean21 Sat 27 Aug 2016 - 22:23

» diy 4 links suspension(cc01)
by Nxsix Mon 22 Aug 2016 - 22:43

» [Scale Comp planning and Rally bashing] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 21 Aug 2016 0900hrs
by orouit Sun 21 Aug 2016 - 9:03

» its all done
by Nxsix Sat 20 Aug 2016 - 9:37

» Boolean21's Hobbyking 1:5 MotoGP on road RC Motorcycle
by boolean21 Fri 19 Aug 2016 - 23:39

» [VIDEO] Scale Trucks Offroad Adventures RC Toyota Hilux Land Rover Defender Jeep Wrangler RC4WD    
by boolean21 Thu 18 Aug 2016 - 22:39

» [Scale Trail and Rally bashing] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 14 Aug 2016 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 13 Aug 2016 - 10:00

» [Durian Loop Trail] Rifle Range Road - Durian Loop Trail - 07 Aug 2016 0900hrs
by boolean21 Wed 10 Aug 2016 - 22:40

» [Trails and Bashing] Offroading at Tampines Quarry 09 Aug 2016 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Mon 8 Aug 2016 - 20:54

October 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Free Domain Name
Google+

Crawlers shock lenght question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crawlers shock lenght question

Post by babyboy on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 12:05

Looking for crawlers shocks and found that it comes in many lenght. I'm doing a custom truck so here's the question.

The lenght is for height clearance from the ground? More movement? Becos of chassis? A bit confuse to choose. I want to have the movement like ths SCX10 or more when the wheel goes over obstacle. So does a longer lenght gives me more scale movement or what? Or there's ored a certain movement (up down) set within the shock? Sorry for the very confusing question. Hope can understand what I'm trying to ask. Embarassed Newbie mah.

babyboy
Crawler

Posts : 706
Join date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crawlers shock lenght question

Post by wyetuck88 on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 13:26

I find that Clearance depends very much on tyre size, shocks are more for articulation, length of shock is measured from your axle mounting point to your chassis mounting point. Longer shocks=more articulation bigger size tyres=more ground clearance. If you got longer shocks and larger tyres, your rig's centre of gravity will be higher=rig falls on its side more easily, unless u have weighted wheels and positive offset wheels.

wyetuck88
Crawler

Posts : 311
Join date : 2012-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crawlers shock lenght question

Post by boolean21 on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 15:01

babyboy wrote:Looking for crawlers shocks and found that it comes in many lenght. I'm doing a custom truck so here's the question.

The lenght is for height clearance from the ground? More movement? Becos of chassis? A bit confuse to choose. I want to have the movement like ths SCX10 or more when the wheel goes over obstacle. So does a longer lenght gives me more scale movement or what? Or there's ored a certain movement (up down) set within the shock? Sorry for the very confusing question. Hope can understand what I'm trying to ask. Embarassed Newbie mah.

the shock length refers to the eye to eye length, for the travel, you can check the specs to see for e.g. shock A - 65mm to 90mm, 65mm will be the compressed length (eye to eye) and 90mm extended...
you can play with this length by adding spacers outside or inside the shock, depending on how much travel you want, etc...

to determine the shock length, you can mock it up physically to measure, or like what i do, draw it out and roughly determine the length then play with the top mounting position, can drill a few holes for the top mounting position so that you adjust the position easily...

generally, longer shocks have longer travel due to the long shaft, you can play with the length by adding spacers to limit the up travel or down travel...
but for your scale truck build, i don't think you want to go for a lot of travel in the shocks right? Smile

_________________
My Blogs: MyHoncho Blog | Boolean21 RC Blog
Youtube: SGCrawlers RC Channel | BooleanRC Video Channel
Facebook: SGCrawlers FB Page  | Boolean21 FB Page
Instagram: http://instagram.com/SGCrawlers
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SGCrawlers

boolean21
Crawler

Posts : 4940
Join date : 2011-08-18
Location : Deep inside the Jungle

View user profile Http://youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Re: Crawlers shock lenght question

Post by babyboy on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 15:59

wyetuck88 wrote:I find that Clearance depends very much on tyre size, shocks are more for articulation, length of shock is measured from your axle mounting point to your chassis mounting point. Longer shocks=more articulation bigger size tyres=more ground clearance. If you got longer shocks and larger tyres, your rig's centre of gravity will be higher=rig falls on its side more easily, unless u have weighted wheels and positive offset wheels.

OK, than my clearance should be standard if base on wheel size.

babyboy
Crawler

Posts : 706
Join date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crawlers shock lenght question

Post by babyboy on Tue 28 Aug 2012 - 16:08

boolean21 wrote:
babyboy wrote:Looking for crawlers shocks and found that it comes in many lenght. I'm doing a custom truck so here's the question.

The lenght is for height clearance from the ground? More movement? Becos of chassis? A bit confuse to choose. I want to have the movement like ths SCX10 or more when the wheel goes over obstacle. So does a longer lenght gives me more scale movement or what? Or there's ored a certain movement (up down) set within the shock? Sorry for the very confusing question. Hope can understand what I'm trying to ask. Embarassed Newbie mah.

the shock length refers to the eye to eye length, for the travel, you can check the specs to see for e.g. shock A - 65mm to 90mm, 65mm will be the compressed length (eye to eye) and 90mm extended...
you can play with this length by adding spacers outside or inside the shock, depending on how much travel you want, etc...

to determine the shock length, you can mock it up physically to measure, or like what i do, draw it out and roughly determine the length then play with the top mounting position, can drill a few holes for the top mounting position so that you adjust the position easily...

generally, longer shocks have longer travel due to the long shaft, you can play with the length by adding spacers to limit the up travel or down travel...
but for your scale truck build, i don't think you want to go for a lot of travel in the shocks right? Smile

OK. My truck is higher than the dingo. My wheel will try to stay at 1.9 for scale look. Will measure the drawing.

I dun build scale truck. I can only build look like only. Not scale Embarassed . Still learning from you guys.

babyboy
Crawler

Posts : 706
Join date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crawlers shock lenght question

Post by Sponsored content Today at 23:29


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum