SG Crawlers Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SG Crawlers Forum
SG Crawlers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

SGCrawlers - Crawl & Trail videos
SGCrawlers - Bash Tour Drift videos
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 301 on Thu 21 Oct 2021 - 11:24
Latest topics
» RC Submarine: Russian Akula Class
by redboat219 Tue 27 Sep 2022 - 11:43

» Land Rover Defender D90 photos and details only (picture intensive!)
by babyboy Fri 25 Jun 2021 - 16:39

» [Offroad Bashing and Rally] Offroad Bashing and Rally at Tampines Track 12 Jan 2020 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 11 Jan 2020 - 10:15

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 20 Oct 2019 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 19 Oct 2019 - 16:31

» vHOBBY RC videos
by CraftRC Fri 21 Jun 2019 - 21:32

» Suzuki Samurai 3D Printted project
by CraftRC Sat 4 May 2019 - 18:39

» WTS : Redcat Gen 7 Pro
by staypuft Mon 7 Jan 2019 - 11:31

» Hello all! Dan here
by csd8888 Fri 5 Oct 2018 - 8:27

» [Offroad Trails] Offroading at Tampines Quarry 16 Sep 2018 - 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 15 Sep 2018 - 18:41

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 12 Aug 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 22:51

» [Trail and Bash!] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 22 Jul 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 21 Jul 2018 - 19:39

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 01 Jul 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 20:39

» wts hobbywing esc + motor
by kelvintan_hc Thu 28 Jun 2018 - 15:36

» Axial roll cage crash
by CraftRC Fri 1 Jun 2018 - 20:16

» Jeep cherokee XJ crawling
by CraftRC Sat 26 May 2018 - 21:54

» Jeep cherokee XJ crawling
by CraftRC Sat 26 May 2018 - 21:54

» Extreme Rock Crawler Axial Wraith
by CraftRC Tue 8 May 2018 - 17:35

» [Scale Trail] Woodgrove Ave - Sunday 06 May 2018 0900hrs
by boolean21 Sat 5 May 2018 - 17:14

» Cab Land Rover Defender
by CraftRC Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:41

» Cab Land Rover Defender
by CraftRC Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:41

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

2 posters

Go down

SCX10 Honcho RTR Question Empty SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by d12go4 Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 20:46

Hi Guys

Thanks to the great info provided by the guys here, on my questions about the Axial SCX10, I've decided to start with the RTR Honcho from Tower Hobbies Very Happy
I plan to use the RTR to learn more about how these Hobby-Grade RC Rigs are setup, and also use it to spend some quality "fun family time" with my daughters (aged 7 and 10) who like playing with RC cars Smile

I still intend to get the Builders Kit later on, but will use the RTR to lean more about how the SCX10 is setup. Can than use the RTR as a "guide" on setting up the Kit

What I would like to know is which stick battery pack and charger should I get for the RTR ? Are there local stores that sell these at reasonable prices, or should I just bundle a Battery with my order from Tower Hobbies ?

Thanks in advance

MANoj

d12go4
Crawler

Back to top Go down

SCX10 Honcho RTR Question Empty Re: SCX10 Honcho RTR Question

Post by boolean21 Tue 21 Feb 2012 - 22:33

great choice to start with the honcho.. Smile it's a great scaler out of the box... just need to DIY or buy some lower links for the rtr honcho and you are good to go.. Smile

if you plan to let the honcho swim... get nimh batteries as they are safe to be submerged...

locally, nimh cheapest would be around $30 each.. you can try getting them from tower if it's cheaper there since not much to top up for shipping if you get together with the honcho..
boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

https://www.youtube.com/MyHonchoSG

Back to top Go down

Post by d12go4 Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 8:10

Thanks for the info Boolean21, really do appreciate your quick replies man Very Happy

This one will, by and large, be a purely "fun-play" rig, for indoor fun and mild outdoor trailing around where I stay, so i don't plan to waterproof it....maybe I will join you guys on one of your "dry" trail runs later. When I get the Builders Kit later on, now waterproofing that will be one of my projects Smile

Out of curiosity, are there any stock SCX10 in the bunch of cool rigs I see in your trailing Videos ? Or are they all modded ?

If an nimh costs about SGD $30 locally, I will bundle one with the Tower Hobbies purchase. Any advantage the Nimh has over Nicads ?

Also, on the Battery, having checked out a number of RC Forums, the common view seems to be that the standard Tamiya connector is not good, and should be changed to a Deans connector if possible. What are your thoughts on this ? Does connecting a Deans connector to the ESC require soldering ?

Cheers

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:great choice to start with the honcho.. Smile it's a great scaler out of the box... just need to DIY or buy some lower links for the rtr honcho and you are good to go.. Smile

if you plan to let the honcho swim... get nimh batteries as they are safe to be submerged...

locally, nimh cheapest would be around $30 each.. you can try getting them from tower if it's cheaper there since not much to top up for shipping if you get together with the honcho..

d12go4
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by boolean21 Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 8:17

If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

Here's a stock rtr honcho in our recent videos...

I used to stick with tamiya plugs, but now, changed most of the plugs to deans...
Yes, u will need to solder it... Smile
boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by d12go4 Wed 22 Feb 2012 - 14:24

Wow.. now that is what I call Trail Ready Smile

That looks to be the older TR Honcho, correct ? The new RTR Honchos are Silver, I believe.

With regards the battery, and advantage with the Lipo. And also, when I do get the Batery, is there a specific size I need, to fit the Honcho ? Or are all Stick batteries the sam size. Please pardon thses "Newbie" questons Embarassed

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

I used to stick with tamiya plugs, but now, changed most of the plugs to deans...

d12go4
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by boolean21 Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 13:28

yeah, that honcho quite old liao... coming to first birthday liao... it's the AM tx rx batch... before the 2.4G tx rx days...

standard 7.2V stick packs nimh and the usual hardcase lipos can fit on the honcho without any problems...
you'll need a lipo capable charger if you wanna use lipo.

best is to get a charger that can charge all, i.e. lipo, nimh, nicad, etc....
so that you don't need to buy another charger in future when you wanna use different batteries..

d12go4 wrote:Wow.. now that is what I call Trail Ready Smile

That looks to be the older TR Honcho, correct ? The new RTR Honchos are Silver, I believe.

With regards the battery, and advantage with the Lipo. And also, when I do get the Batery, is there a specific size I need, to fit the Honcho ? Or are all Stick batteries the sam size. Please pardon thses "Newbie" questons Embarassed

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:If u dont plan on using it in water, then you can consider running lipo batteries... Smile

boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by d12go4 Thu 23 Feb 2012 - 13:51

Thanks for the info man.

Any recommended local Hobby Store for the Battery and Charger, or would getting it online be the better option ? Only issue I can think of, with getting online charger is whether it will work in Singapore.

Cheers

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:yeah, that honcho quite old liao... coming to first birthday liao... it's the AM tx rx batch... before the 2.4G tx rx days...

standard 7.2V stick packs nimh and the usual hardcase lipos can fit on the honcho without any problems...

so that you don't need to buy another charger in future when you wanna use different batteries..

MANoj

d12go4
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by boolean21 Fri 24 Feb 2012 - 10:01

hi bro,
maybe u can post the link to the charger and batteries that you are looking at so that the other bros can comment on it.. Smile

US works on 110VAC and SG works on 240VAC, but nowadays, maybe power supplies come in large working voltage ranges, post the links here so that we can take a look at the specs. as long as the INPUT for the power supply to the charger is 240V, you are ok...

hmm... lipos tends to last longer and have more punch... but for trails, both are ok la.. nimh is good if you plan to "swim"... i use only nimh batteries when going swimming... during dry terrains, i use lipo some times... Smile

when ordering from towerhobbies, remember to key in the discount code for additional usd75 discount for orders between usd300 - usd399... Smile

d12go4 wrote:Thanks for the info man.

Any recommended local Hobby Store for the Battery and Charger, or would getting it online be the better option ? Only issue I can think of, with getting online charger is whether it will work in Singapore.

Cheers

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:yeah, that honcho quite old liao... coming to first birthday liao... it's the AM tx rx batch... before the 2.4G tx rx days...

MANoj

boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by d12go4 Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 20:03

Hi boolean21

Yah, will definitely be using the discount code Smile

Ok Guys, hopefully you can help me to decide on the 6-cell 7.2V stick Battery and Charger I need to get for the RTR Honcho..... I plan to stick with Batteries that use the Tamiya Connector for now, as I don't have the know-how or equipment to be able to switch the stock Axial ESC to accept a Deans connector Embarassed

When I was setting up my order for the Honcho at Tower Hobbies, the "recommended" battery and charger were these :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0006p?&T=1&I=AXID9022&E=N

Is this recommended NiCd 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh Stick (with Tamiya connector) and AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH ok ? I am especially concerned if the Charger will work in Singapore Embarassed

One alternative stick battery that Tower Hobbies is suggesting is this one :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0004p?&I=TOWC1030

This alternative battery is an NIMH (NOT NICD) and has a higher capacity.

I tried checking for Lipos, but honestly do not know which would work with the Honcho Embarassed

Would it be better to order the Honcho from Tower Hobbies, wait for it to arrive..and than get the Battery and Charger from a Local Hobby Store ? This will probably cost more than bundling the Battery and charger with the order from Tower Hobbies, but this way I would be sure it can work on the Singapore current Very Happy

If anyone here has recently ordered the RTR Honcho and bundled a Battery and Charger, I would really appreciate hearing which one you selected Very Happy

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MANoj

boolean21 wrote:hi bro,
maybe u can post the link to the charger and batteries that you are looking at so that the other bros can comment on it.. Smile

US works on 110VAC and SG works on 240VAC, but nowadays, maybe power supplies come in large working voltage ranges, post the links here so that we can take a look at the specs. as long as the INPUT for the power supply to the charger is 240V, you are ok...

hmm... lipos tends to last longer and have more punch... but for trails, both are ok la.. nimh is good if you plan to "swim"... i use only nimh batteries when going swimming... during dry terrains, i use lipo some times... Smile

when ordering from towerhobbies, remember to key in the discount code for additional usd75 discount for orders between usd300 - usd399... Smile

d12go4
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by boolean21 Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 20:51

Would still recommend nimh if using for honcho... If u are playing with water...

U can read this for conparison between nicd and nimh...
http://servocity.com/html/nicad_vs__nimh_batteries.html

Buy at least 2sets of at least 3000mah if going for nimh...
boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by d12go4 Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 17:01

Hi boolean21,

Thanks for that link man, very informative.

Are there any local Hobby Stores you would recommend, that carry these Lipos, Nimhs and chargers ? For peace of mind (to ensure the charger will work in Singapore current), I think I would prefer to get it locally, even if it might cost more Embarassed

Cheers

MANoj
boolean21 wrote:Would still recommend nimh if using for honcho... If u are playing with water...

d12go4
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by boolean21 Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 17:10

Hi, current is not the issue, look out for the voltage input range.
Had sent u the shop that I bought from in the previous PM. Smile

d12go4 wrote:Hi boolean21,

Thanks for that link man, very informative.

Are there any local Hobby Stores you would recommend, that carry these Lipos, Nimhs and chargers ? For peace of mind (to ensure the charger will work in Singapore current), I think I would prefer to get it locally, even if it might cost more Embarassed

Cheers

MANoj
boolean21 wrote:Would still recommend nimh if using for honcho... If u are playing with water...

boolean21
boolean21
Crawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down